What is MAYORS IN ACTION?
Over 5700 municipalities representing more than 185 million inhabitants have signed the Covenant of Mayors (CoM) as of May 2014, committing to develop and advance their Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs). However, to advance their SEAPs, local government staff need support and training to achieve these objectives. MAYORS in ACTION empowers Coordinators and Supporters (C&S) of the Covenant of Mayors in effectively assisting their municipalities in implementing and monitoring their SEAPs.
C&S play a key role in giving technical and financial support to municipalities and have been successful in enabling most of them to develop their SEAPs and overcome existing barriers. Through tutoring and coaching schemes, MAYORS in ACTION will allow C&S municipalities to go further, enabling them to implement actions by employing existing tools and experiences in different environments, and helping them to support one another towards a common goal.
MAYORS in ACTION is a three-year project, running until February 2017, and is co-funded by Intelligent Energy Europe.
What are our objectives?
- To strengthen and build capacity among Covenant Coordinators and Supporters in assisting their municipalities. Learn more about our training offer!
- To transfer good practices from one country to another through training, coaching and peer-to-peer interactions between Covenant Supporters at European level.
- To assist small and medium-sized cities across Europe to implement and monitor their SEAPs
- To guarantee that sustainable energy policies are secured in municipalities during and after the lifetime of the project.
- To widely communicate the results and increase the Supporting Structures in the Covenant of Mayors initiative.
Who can get support?
- Covenant Coordinators will benefit from a training and capacity-building process focusing on the implementation and monitoring of SEAPs, including peer-to peer support and coaching.
- Covenant Supporters can access a range of opportunities for networking and exchanging on political strategies as well as technical and administrative support to CoM members.
- 40 municipalities will actively participate in the project, receiving training and capacity building for SEAP implementation and monitoring in the six target countries (Belgium, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Poland, and Spain).